NEWS: At the moment (2015-11-30) we have (Source): 4,15 million entries as input:
- en 1145421
- de 772004
- sv 372494
- fr 293196
- nl 232555
- ru 226063
- pl 149819
- ja 106954
- ca 94353
- es 91030
- it 86936
- sr 65041
- cs 53493
- zh 52971
- uk 50251
- da 48126
- no 40229
- fa 39004
- eu 25054
- lt 24879
With interwikilinks we get an output for 273 languages.
- toollabs:wp-world/dumps/new_red0.gz Wikipedia-World as PostGIS-dumps
- Database structure (PostGIS)
All people with WMFLAbs-account can read and use the database u_kolossos on osmdb database server. (Helppage Connecting to OSM)
Diese Seite auf Deutsch: Wikipedia:WikiProjekt Georeferenzierung/Wikipedia-World
Thanks to the free availability of the collected data and thanks to the innumerable helpers who attach geo information to the articles, it is possible to describe the position of locations with the degrees of longitude and latitude in all languages by using maps. This shows the international aspects of Wikipedia.
We are looking for users that are active on the German Wikipedia and in Wikipedia in other languages in order to promote this project.
Project description[Quelltext bearbeiten]
This is the international co-ordination page for the multilingual usage and analysis of the geographical data collected in the projects Georeferenzierung, en:Wikipedia:WikiProject Geographical coordinates and others.
We use the links to geohack which are in the database in the external link table, actually we use the daily updated extract on toolserver from user:dispenser. We were looking for categories in the languages pl, ja, it, zh, sv, etc. that include all geotags (see interwiki links in the category Kategorie:Vorlage:mit Koordinate) in order to be able to include more languages.
Via the interwiki links all language variants are analyzed and recorded in a common database. In order to achieve this, a co-ordination on the used geographical coordinates templates is necessary.
At the time being, there are the following applications that are all based on the central PostGIS-database on the Toolserver (ptolemy). The maps can also be accessed via geohack:
OpenStreetMap and Wikipedia[Quelltext bearbeiten]
OpenSeaMap and Wikipedia[Quelltext bearbeiten]
- OpenSeaMap-Karte with Wikipedia-Articles
- Select view "Wikipedia-Links".
Simple maps[Quelltext bearbeiten]
With the help of simple HTML and CSS code simple maps without background can be comfortably produced using the following links for a limited number of languages or by modifying the URL: For example use http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/wp-world/umkreis.php?la=af&submit=v&lon=13&lat=52&rang=1462.5&map=2&limit=80 for Afrikaans.
English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish. Turkish, Chinese, Icelandic, Catalan, ... >270 languages.
The map view is also available via a world map, in which you have to click only on the desired region.
Source code[Quelltext bearbeiten]
- umkreis.php - source code
Google Maps Wikipedia masking[Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Google Maps Link with Wikipedia layer all parameters from the Google Earth Layer (below) and all (over 200) languages of the project are usable.
- There is also a map with Openstreetmap-tiles in the background.
Google Earth Wikipedia masking[Quelltext bearbeiten]
Dynamic layer[Quelltext bearbeiten]
The data used for this are in a database and are filtered according to the articles length and the focus of the user. The corresponding articles are then put over the map using a layer. The database access occurs after a one second stand still of the user's viewpoint.
A click on one of the symbols and a further click on the Wikipedia link enables the user to comfortably access and read the wikipedia articles.
You can select the desired language using the links below or via the URL http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/world-link.php?long=13.3783&lat=52.5163&lang=LANGUAGE replacing LANGUAGE with the ISO code of the requested language.
Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish. Turkish, Chinese, Icelandic, Catalan, ... >270 languages.
Expert mode[Quelltext bearbeiten]
This view can be configured in multiple ways.
If you click on the networklink in Google Earth with the right mouse button in order to edit the link, the URL
(http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/geoworld/marks.php?LANG=de) is displayed, which can be appended with additional parameters:
URL&thumbs=yesSo you can see little thumbnail pictures. We are using the first jpeg-image of each article, see Screenshot, so we use over 37.000 images. Direct Link
URL&style=world_culturshows only the world cultural heritage sites. A full list of all styles can be found in the file info.php listed above. Because objects are only assigned to one object type, this is only reliable in a limited way.
URL&photo=noshows only articles, that do not feature an image. Ideal to plan a photosafari in a certain region. Direct Link
URL&photo=yesshows only articles, that have already an image. However, this also includes images like COAs or location maps, etc..
URL&source=deshows only sites, that come from the German Wikipedia. All input languages are supported.
URL¬region=dedoes the contrary of the parameter "source".
Source code[Quelltext bearbeiten]
World map with a representation of the concentration of wikipoints[Quelltext bearbeiten]
The image shown above can be generated online from the database. There are three parameters, which can be passed with the URL:
- Parameter "so" for "source" limits the display of articles orginating from a certain Wikipedia language source. Only these coordinates are shown that have not already been read from another language.
- Parameter "la" uses all available coordinates of a language.
- Parameter "fa" is a zoom factor, which can be 0.5, 1, 2, 4 or 8. Zoom fa=1 equals one pixel per degree. The time need for the generation of the image increases with the increase of the zoom factor.
Example: http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/wp-world/imageworld-art-new.php?so=en&fa=2 shows the articles from the english Wikipedia.
Source code: http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/wp-world/imageworld-art-new-source.php
Usage of the data[Quelltext bearbeiten]
OpenStreetMap in Wikipedia[Quelltext bearbeiten]
KDE Marble[Quelltext bearbeiten]
Content layer for Layar (Augmented reality application)[Quelltext bearbeiten]
For the AR app Layar a content layer with the data of this project is available. Content layer is called WikipediaWorld and developed by user:Arch2all. Layar can be used on Android smartphones and iPhone 3GS and is freely available in the Android market/App store.
Scientific papers[Quelltext bearbeiten]
,,, and proving of the First law of geography with the help of Wikipedia.
- ↑ Schöning, J., Hecht, B., Rohs, M., Starosielski, N.: Wikear: Automatically generated location-based audio stories between public city maps. In: Adjunct Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing. (2007)
- ↑ Paelke, V., Dahinden, T., Eggert, D., Mondzech, J.: Mobile visualization of harvested data to improve context awareness. In: Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Humans and Computers (HC-2009). (2009)
- ↑ Hecht, B., Raubal, M.: GeoSR: Geographically explore semantic relations in world knowledge. In Bernard, L., Friis-Christensen, A., Pundt, H., eds.: AGILE Conf.Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography. Springer (2008) 95-113
- ↑ Dahinden, T.: Localization of uncertain and fuzzy-bordered areas by geocoded articles of a knowledge repository. In Proceedings of the International Cartographic Conference, Santiago de Chile (2009)
- ↑ Hecht, B., Moxley, E.: Terabytes of Tobler: Evaluating the first law in a massive, domain-neutral representation of world knowledge. In Hornsby, K.S., Claramunt, C., Denis, M., Ligozat, G., eds.: Spatial Information Theory, 9th International Con- ference, COSIT 2009, Aber Wrac'h, France, September 21-25, 2009, Proceedings. Volume 5756 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science., Springer (2009) 88-105
- Yiqi Liu , Masaharu Yoshioka:
Construction of large geographical database by merging Wikipedia's Geo-entities and GeoNames
- Hahmann, S.; Burghardt, D.: How much information is geospatially referenced? Networks and Cognition. In: International Journal of Geographical Information Science, Nr. 6, 27, Taylor & Francis, S. 1171-1189, DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2012.743664
(German, with English abstract)
To-do list[Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Merging this data with data of OpenStreetmap (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikipedia) in an half-automatic way. Automatically isn't possible because we want to connect our point objects with OSM points, lines and areas. Benefit for both projects because OSM could e.g. use Wikipedia Interwikilinks and Wikipedia could use the types of OSM and the exact position an geographical representation.
- Using bots like fr:user:Geobot to copy geocoordinates to other languages
- more and better icons in the map using styles and categories
- testing mapnik-rendering with click areas
- further development of the CSV service
- Benutzer:Kolossos: transfer of the data into the database, programming of the application
- User:Dispenser daily data extraction with help of the links to the Geohack
- Benutzer:Stefan Kühn: former data extraction from the dumps and static layer base system